The Spiritual Growth Process
Each growth stages listed below with the training appropriate for that stage.Small group curriculum is in bold print with no additional markings. Activities are preceded by three stars ***. The course material is listed in the order of occurrence that maximizes the benefits to the individual, by building on what he has already learned. For example, it is better to learn how to walk before learning to run. A brief description of the curriculum and activities is offered with the approximate amount of time needed to complete it.
Stage 1 - Childhood
Phase 1 - Conception: (formation - from non-believer to believer) - “I believe in God, but I’m not sure about Christ. My faith is not a significant part of my life.”
*** Preach the gospel to them.
Welcome To The Family Letter – a letter of welcome for a new believer.
*** Introduce the new believer to a small group leader willing to serve as a parent . . . who will talk with, touch and care for him. Have the group leader cover the following material:
The Gospel – a clear, concise presentation of the good news of Jesus Christ covering its key points. It is based on Acts 2:22-41 (1.5 hr)
God’s Life in Me – the new birth process (1.5 hr)
Elijah and Elisha – a picture of water baptism (1 hr)
A Covenant Relationship With God – the new covenant with God (1 hr)
Comparing Three Covenants – an overview of their individual parts.
*** Public Celebration – baptism marks the end of the Conception stage.
Phase 2 - Babes: (from believer to growing believer) - “I believe in Jesus, and I’m working on what it means to get to know Him.”
*** Introduce believers to 1 John 1:9. Parents recognize sin and assist the believer in repentance and confession of it.
*** Assign no tasks in this phase.
Introduction to the Bible - answers the questions, “what is the Bible” and “where did it come from”? It also includes a brief survey of the Bible. (2 hrs)
Jesus and the Land – is a brief historical view of Jesus, His friends and family and the land in which he lived. There are several maps included in this introductory study. (2 hrs)
*** Begin reading the Bible – the following five pairs of books provide the reader with exciting stories that help him gain a historical overview of the Bible.
Foundational Principles – from the book of Hebrews 6:1-3, we discover that the Apostle Paul considered the following six teachings as the elementary principles of Christianity. (8 hrs)
Phase 3 - Children: (from believer to growing believer)
*** Have the believers write out their personal testimonies . . . then read them in a group setting.
*** Assign some form of church ministry with very little responsibility to each believer.
How to Hear God's Voice – many Christians don’t know their heavenly father’s voice yet all children can identify their parent’s voice. What’s up with that! This curriculum is designed to help believers discern His voice. (5 hrs – two sessions)
A Journey with Jesus – Book 1 - Fishers of Men – Lessons 1-5 – a new worldview. (6 hrs)
1. Follow Me. (To hear and obey Jesus, our Lord)
2. What Do You See? (Observing people can lead to a spiritual encounter)
3. A New Perspective. (Live joyously)
4. Shining Lights. (How to let your light shine)
5. Jesus, The Fulfillment of the Law and the Prophets. (Explaining the Law and the Prophets and how Jesus fulfils them)
*** Have believers baptize new believers.
A Journey with Jesus – Book 1 - Fishers of Men – Lessons 6-17 – new family values. (12 hrs)
6. Subduing Anger. (Dealing with anger)
7. Being Faithful. (Dealing with sexual sin)
8. Keeping Promises. (Keeping your word)
9. Giving Up Your Rights. (Dealing with difficult people)
10. Love Your Enemies. (How to treat your enemies)
11. Receiving Honor. (Avoiding hypocrisy)
12. Prayer. (The Lord’s Prayer)
13. Acquiring Treasure. (How to find and store real treasure)
14. The Scales of Justice. (There is only one judge)
15. Developing Discernment. (Differences between judging and discerning)
16. How to Live Forever. (Living eternal life now)
17. Fruit Inspection. (Learning to discern evil)
*** Begin reading the rest of the Bible.
*** Public Celebration - this is the end of the Childhood stage. The believer should experience the "laying on of hands" by the leaders for additional gifting and empowerment for service because he has just moved into adolescence.
Stage 2 - Adolescence
Young Men: (from growing believer to mature believer) - “I feel really close to Christ and depend on Him for daily guidance.”
*** Begin serving in a ministry of the church.
A Journey with Jesus – Book 2 – Into the Harvest – Lessons 18-20 – the kingdom of God. (3 hrs)
18. Kingdom Parables. (Understanding the Kingdom of God)
19. Growing in Understanding. (Understanding parables)
20. More Kingdom Truths. (You teach a parable)
*** Teach one of the parables.
Gifts of the Spirit - equips the believer to use spiritual gifts. (10 hrs)
*** Use spiritual gifts for the benefit of one another within the group.
A Journey with Jesus – Book 2 – Into the Harvest – Lessons 21-24 – evangelism. (4 hrs)
21. Going into the Harvest Fields. (Finding and working in your harvest field)
22. Evangelism. (Jesus shows us how to evangelize)
23. Serpents and doves. (Be wise in the way you declare the gospel)
24. Sobering Decisions. (Fear of men is overcome by faith in God)
*** Begin to purposefully declare the Gospel at every opportunity God gives you. Use your personal testimony and spiritual gifts in conjunction with it.
A Journey with Jesus – Book 2 – Into the Harvest – Lessons 25-29 – discipleship. (5 hrs)
25. Looking for God's Solutions. (Blessing people and glorifying His name)
26. Fear not! (Jesus cares for you and will help you)
27. A Little Leaven. (Consider carefully the words you speak)
28. Taking Up the Cross. (Being a disciple of Jesus will cost you your life)
29. Listen to Jesus! (God the Father speaks out loud)
*** Lead an activity.
Spiritual Warfare – introduces the believer in ways to overcome his enemies. (5 hrs)
A Journey with Jesus – Book 2 – Into the Harvest – Lessons 30-33 – problems in the church. (4 hrs)
30. Becoming Offended. (Why you get offended)
31. Causing Stumbling Blocks. (Don’t be a stumbling block to anyone)
32. Reproving a Believer. (Correcting believers/church discipline)
33. Forgiving Believers Who Repent. (Be ready to forgive)
A Journey with Jesus – Book 2 – Into the Harvest – Lessons 34-39 – the attitude of a servant. (6 hrs)
34. Cause for Rejoicing. (Reasons to rejoice)
35. Praying with Faith.
36. Hypocrisy. (Test the spirits)
37. Freedom from Fear. (You have no reason to be afraid of God)
38. Freedom from Life’s Worries. (God will take care of your needs)
39. Servant-hood. (Learn to be a good servant)
The Basic Spiritual Maturity Process – an overview of the Spiritual Growth Process as it compares to the natural child-rearing process. (1 hr)
*** Go on a cross-cultural mission project at home or abroad.
*** Public Celebration – this is the end of the Adolescence stage. The believer should experience the “laying on of hands” by the leaders for additional giftings and empowerment for service because he has just moved into adulthood.
Stage 3 - Adulthood
Fathers: (from mature believer to reproducing believer) - “God is all I need in my life. He is enough. Everything I do is a reflection of Christ.”
Small Group Dynamics – It teaches the believer how small groups operate and how to facilitate them (6 hrs – seminar format – two sessions)
A Journey with Jesus – Book 3 – Building the Temple – Lessons 40-45 – life lessons. (8 hrs)
40. Foretaste of the Kingdom. (Those who will be spared)
41. Don’t Lose Heart. (Pray and do not lose heart)
42. Children. (Do not stop children from having a relationship to Jesus)
43. Up to Jerusalem. (Unraveling mysteries of the Passover week) Telling time God’s way. (Understanding God’s calendar)
44. True Biblical Faith. (Living by faith has requirements)
45. Chair of Moses. (True authority)
*** Two believers should form a team to facilitate the Spiritual Growth Process for new believers.
A Journey with Jesus – Book 3 – Building the Temple – Lessons 46-49 – 2nd coming of Christ (5 hrs)
46. Looking at the Future. (Overview of the end times)
47. Do Not Be Misled. (Follow Jesus’ instructions and you won’t be misled)
48. Signs. (Understanding the signs of the end times)
49. Be Alert. (Become alert when you see the signs in the heavens)
A Journey with Jesus – Book 3 – Building the Temple – Lessons 50-56 – Last things (10 hrs)
At The Lord's Table – showcasing the individual elements of a Passover Seder overlaying them with the events that occurred at the Last Supper. (1.5 hrs)
50. The Passover View. (Missing Lesson - Prepare for the days ahead)
51. Breaking Bread. (Communion)
52. Love One Another. (Display love for one another)
53. Peaceful Hearts. (What it means to abide in Christ)
54. Abiding in Christ. (Missing Lesson - God dwells in us then our words and actions should line up with the Word of God)
55. Disillusioned. (The promise of persecution)
56. Waiting for Him. (Spiritual warfare)
57. Receive the Holy Spirit. (Baptized with power from on high)
58. The Great Commission. (Understanding your commission)
Overview of Church History – teaches the history of the church as a whole. (10 hrs)
*** Public Celebration – A Last Supper should mark the end of his original small group experience.
The believer should complete the entire Spiritual Maturity Process. No matter what the believer’s specific call is, the understanding of the Spiritual Maturity Process is critical. Receive advanced training as the Lord leads. Discover and engage in God’s specific ministry call for him.